Monday, January 23, 2017

Why I Marched

Millions of people marched this weekend in response to the inauguration of the 45th president of the United States.  My social media feed was dominated by photos of my friends and family peacefully protesting all around the country and world. People protested for many reasons.  I asked people in our community to share with me why they marched.  If you want to add your voice/photos to this post, please contact me.




I marched because I want my government to know that I oppose the rhetoric and proposed policies of the new administration that marginalizes and infringes on the rights of immigrants, Muslims, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, and survivors of sexual assault (to name a few). 
--Jessica Kirkpatrick







I marched in solidarity with other women against what looks like a large number of anti-woman and often anti-human policies coming down the road. I marched because just about all Federal recognition of trans people such as myself is via executive orders which the new administration has vowed to negate, so I need all of these crowds at my back. 
--Jessica Mink




As a Saudi-American astrophysicist, I've spent a lifetime fighting the stereotypes that have trapped me.   The only reason I have had the opportunity to do what I love is because the United States of America gave me the freedom to break all of the rules laid down for me.  In the U.S., it is our uniqueness and our rebellious spirit that has forged a path of opportunity for people of all walks of life.  Generations have fought so that we could have the opportunity to live our lives, grow, and challenge expectation.  We must always speak out when equality and rationality are challenged.  In honor of all those who have fought for me, for our planet, and every human who has yet to win the equality that they so rightly deserve, I will protest, donate, volunteer, and stargaze until the end of my days.
--Sarah Al-Ahmed


I marched because I'm worried about a close friend's insurance and access to mental health care if the ACA is repealed, that the worrying anti-Muslim sentiment in this country will end up codified into policy and civil rights for minorities will be thoroughly eroded, and because I'm worried about maintaining my own immigration status in the face of increasing xenophobia. I believe that if we don't show that we have strength and solidarity, this administration will waste no time in tearing us apart. --Gautham Narayan






I marched in LA to show support for those in communities directly threatened by the rhetoric and promised-policies of the incoming administration. I also marched to jump start myself into action, to put my time and energy and money into what I was walking for on Saturday. 
--Johanna Teske 









Before the march I said: I'm marching for women, for diversity, for science, and for science guiding our basic principles and thoughts. I'm pro love and respect for all, and I'm very anti-harassment of any kind, including sexual assault. I've spent a large portion of my career fighting for basic human respect and dignity for my colleagues and ensuring they are protected from things like sexual harassment. So I march in support of equality, respect, and love, and I march against hate, fear, and ignorance. But afterwards, I realized I marched for FAR beyond that. Even with being sick, and dealing with extreme pain, I marched to see the beauty of everyone rallying together, uniting to march not only for themselves, but for those who couldn't march in that moment, and it was worth every minute of it. My signs read simply (LOVE 4 ALL) and DIVERSITY and in that moment, I truly felt we were working towards that.  --Christina Richey







I marched to help amplify the voices of people who are too often silenced or ignored and because science matters and facts are real.
--Jeffrey Silverman 






I marched to fight for the rights of people who don't have a voice in our political system (specifically female prisoners). I marched in the hope that white feminists would wake up and realize that their feminism amplifies white supremacy.
--Therese Jones
 




At our march in our small town (of 4000 people) we had a turnout of roughly 600! However, one person showed up wearing a swastika armband. I marched to make it clear that such behavior is not OK! We will not stand idly by when people spout such rhetoric and display such symbols. To make it known that if you do that, not only are we watching, but we will call you out on it and make you so uncomfortable that you will slink away from the gutter from which you came.
--Stephen Muchovej







Lansing, MI (state capital). I went to be among similarly minded people in Michigan, and to "be there in spirit" with those in D. C.
--Nicolle Zellner 







I marched for my mom, my sister, the women they love; I marched for my son, my husband, and the women they love; I marched for my brothers, and cousins, and uncles and aunts and all the women they love. I marched for the women I love and the men I love. Women are not equal... we're not even thinking about the problems the same way: 53% of white women voted for this president, 94% of black women didn't. It's time we all stop pretending this isn't happening. It's happening and it's been happening and we need to march and march and march until ALL women have equal rights.
--Daryl Haggard




Why did you march?  If you want to add your photo/reason here please contact Jessica Kirkpatrick.

No comments :